Posts for tag: Oral Care
Your oral health is incredibly valuable. To keep your smile bright and healthy, see the friendly team at Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD. They're your best cosmetic dentists and your partners in oral health maintenance at home.
Why is oral care important?
Simply put, it decreases your risk of developing gum disease and tooth decay. Just as with exercise, maintaining your house or car and studying in school, a regular routine pays off. So, pay attention to your teeth and gums every day, and you'll keep your smile for life.
How to keep your oral health in good shape
Here's what your cosmetic dentists in Vermillion recommend for your best smile:
1. Brush your teeth every day for two minutes...once in the morning after breakfast and once at night before bed. Electric toothbrushes may remove plaque more efficiently.
2. Remove sticky plaque and avoid hard calculus, or tartar, by flossing around each tooth daily, particularly the ones at the very back of your mouth. The American Dental Association (ADA) says that anti-microbial mouth rinses decrease your chances of developing gum disease.
3. Eat well--three nutritious meals a day. Snacks are OK if they are not sugary. Concentrate your efforts on protein, fiber and calcium. Push water (fluoridated if possible) for good hydration and clean tooth surfaces.
4. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you play sports. if you grind your teeth, insert your protective acrylic guard every night.
5. Look at your teeth, gums and other oral tissues for changes in color and texture. Call your dentist about any lump or sore which does not resolve in a week or so.
See your cosmetic dentist every six months
At Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, your dental team asks all patients to come in for a cleaning and check-up every six months. We'll help you refine your at-home routine and check you for decay, gum disease, oral cancer and more.
While everyone is at home during the COVID-19 crisis, we do have limited hours of operation to meet your dental emergency needs. We encourage you to stay with your good daily habits, and we'll see you soon. Phone us as needed at (605) 857-8008.