Do you feel clueless about flossing? Follow these helpful hints and you’ll be a flossing pro in no time!
Flossing is a great way to remove food from between teeth that your toothbrush just can’t get. But many people don’t know how to floss properly. It might sound odd, especially since it should seem like a natural habit, but you’d be surprised that you might not be doing it right. Follow this advice from the office of your Vermillion general dentists Drs. Richard and Matthew Knutson and you’ll enjoy a clean smile for years to come:
- Just about everyone has a smartphone these days. Either set a daily reminder on your phone or computer to remind yourself to floss.
- Choose a time of day that is easier for you to take the time to floss. If you are busy and stressed you are less likely to do a good job, or actually do it all together. Find a time that is convenient for you to floss and stick to it.
- Pair flossing with other habits: When you get ready to head into the shower, bring the floss in with you. You’ll get two things done at once and since you shower daily anyway you’ll be more likely to floss consistently.
- Keep track of your progress so you can hold yourself accountable for flossing. After a week of consistently flossing each day offer yourself a little reward or treat, which will help to reinforce the habit.
Now that you have some ways to make flossing a normal part of your routine, it’s important to make sure you are doing it as efficiently as possible. If you have any questions about your flossing techniques be sure to ask your dentist in Vermillion the next time you come in for your cleaning. In the meantime, here are some ways to ensure that you are getting the most from your flossing sessions:
- You want to be generous with the amount of floss you use. About 18 inches of dental floss is recommended.
- Always be gentle when threading the floss between teeth. You never want to snap the floss against the gums, which can cause damage. Always be careful when flossing to prevent injury.
- Focus on one tooth at a time, gliding the floss up and down against the tooth. Once the floss is at the gumline, curve it against the tooth.
- Be sure to use a new, clean section of floss for each tooth.
Incorporating these techniques into your daily oral care will go miles to improving your smile health. And don’t forget about your six-month routine visits. If it is time for your biannual cleaning call your Vermillion general dentist today. Knutson Family Dentistry is here to cater to all your dental needs.