When it comes to teeth whitening, there’s no single shade that would be applicable for all. Why? Put simply, the natural whiteness of our teeth differs even in the slightest light. This is why it is always good to make sure that teeth whitening is done by a professional to ensure everything blends in perfectly well.
Here at Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, one of our cosmetics dentists, Dr. Matthew Knutson, Dr. Richard Knutson, or Dr. Brandon Jensen, can assess your needs and recommend the best whitening treatment plan for you. But what should you do to maintain your white smile after you undergo treatment? Here are some no-nonsense guidelines.
Essential Oral Hygiene Habits
Professionally done teeth whitening is not an assurance that your teeth will not become discolored or stained. You still need to take care of it using sensible and effective basic oral hygiene practices, including:
- Brushing and Flossing: The foundation of every oral hygiene routine, brushing should be completed twice a day for two minutes using a soft-bristled brush, and flossing should be performed at least once a day.
- Rinsing with Mouthwash: Aside from keeping your breath smelling fresher for longer, fluoride mouthwashes help protect teeth enamel. Rinse for 30 to 60 seconds after brushing and flossing.
- Sensible Eating: If you eat too many sweetened foods and drinks, you are increasing your risk of accumulating plaque. Opt for crunchy fruits and vegetables to improve saliva flow and protect your teeth and gums. Additionally, make sure to drink water as much as possible.
Dealing With Stubborn Stains
Sometimes, we cannot help but consume foods and drinks that eventually leave stubborn stains and discolor your teeth. This is where help from the best cosmetic dentist in Vermillion, SD, will come into play. Depending on your specific requirements, your dentist may suggest the following treatments:
- Teeth Whitening: If you’ve had one before, you know it doesn’t last forever. Chemicals from medicines can stain your teeth just as bad as coffee or tea. Have your dentist do a teeth whitening for faster and longer-lasting results.
- Dental Bonding: This is another cosmetic solution that your dentist can do for you especially if you have stained, cracked, broken, or chipped teeth. This is a great way to maintain the whiteness of your teeth and also ensure that the gaps of your teeth are covered.
- Dental Veneers: This option may be recommended by your dentist if your natural teeth have become permanently stained. It could likewise correct slightly crooked and poorly-shaped teeth.
- Dental Crowns: These cover the entire tooth to give it that normal color, shape, and appearance. Aside from maintaining the whiteness of your smile, they can also help protect weak or broken teeth.
Need More Details on Teeth Whitening Treatments? Call The Best Cosmetic Dentists in Vermillion, SD
You can reach Knutson Family Dentistry by calling (605)-857-8008 to schedule an appointment with one of the best cosmetic dentists in Vermillion, SD, Dr. Matthew Knutson, Dr. Richard Knutson, or Dr. Brandon Jensen.