Posts for category: Oral Health
How your general dentist in Vermillion, SD, can keep your smile healthy.
It’s easy to procrastinate and delay your dental care, but it’s the wrong thing to do. That’s because dental problems can get away from you. A small, easily treatable dental issue can become a major dental problem. It’s important to recognize when you need to see a dentist.
Drs. Matthew and Richard Knutson, and Dr. Brandon Jensen of Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, offer full-service dentistry to keep your smile healthy.
Let’s take a look at 5 signs it’s time to see a dentist:
- You can’t remember when you last visited your dentist. If you can’t remember when you last had a dental appointment, chances are it’s been too long. It’s time to come back in for a dental exam and x-rays at least.
- Your gums bleed a little when you brush, floss, or eat. Bleeding is an early sign of gum disease, and if it goes untreated, gum disease can become periodontal disease and you can lose teeth. It’s time for a professional dental cleaning.
- You frequently experience tooth pain. Dental pain could be a sign of tooth decay, which should be treated as soon as possible. Untreated tooth decay can turn into the need for a root canal.
- You have lost teeth. If you are living with an incomplete smile, it affects your chewing ability, your self-esteem, and your self-confidence. Your dentist can offer a wide variety of tooth replacement options, so you can get your smile back.
- You want to improve your smile. Dentistry isn’t just about fillings. Cosmetic dentistry can make your smile more beautiful. Your dentist can introduce you to a wide variety of services, including teeth whitening, bonding, and veneers, to give you a smile you will love to show off.
To protect your smile, it’s time to see your dentist. To find out more about how your dentist can help you keep a healthy smile, call Drs. Matthew and Richard Knutson, and Dr. Brandon Jensen of Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, at (605) 857-8008. Call today.
Now it’s possible to get a dental crown in one visit to our Vermillion, SD, dental practice.
You didn’t read that wrong. You absolutely can have a dental crown made and placed in the very same day when you turn to our Vermillion, SD, family dentists Drs. Matthew & Richard Knutson and Dr. Brandon Jensen. CEREC, which stands for chairside economical restoration of esthetic ceramic, is a unique and state-of-the-art technology that allows our dental team to be able to create and place permanent crowns in one easy appointment. Here are just some of the top benefits of getting same day crowns,
No more temporary crowns!
Traditional dental crowns require us to send impressions of your smile to an outside dental lab, where it can take up to four weeks to make your crown. Thanks to CEREC technology, we can remove the middleman and simply bring all this technology in-house so our dental team can now make your crowns, veneers and onlays/inlays. Since we can make and place your CEREC crown in just one appointment, you no longer need to wear a flimsy, awkward temporary crown for weeks.
Bye, bye messy impressions
Another benefit to having this incredible technology is that we can also capture amazingly precise measurements of your teeth using digital technology rather than those messy impressions that you may remember from the past. Traditional impressions can be uncomfortable, but CEREC crowns are ideal for all patients, even those with sensitive gag reflexes.
Save yourself time
The goal of our dental team is to make sure that you get the dental care you need as quickly and efficiently as possible. That means keeping up with the latest technology, which provides us with more effective solutions to your dental problems. Plus, we know you’re busy and don’t have time to keep coming back into our office every week just to get a crown. Luckily, CEREC technology significantly cuts down your treatment plan and allows you to get back to your daily routine even faster.
Save a damaged tooth
The purpose of a dental crown is to cover and protect a weak or damaged tooth. The crown will restore strength and durability back into the tooth. Same day crowns ensure that our Vermillion, SD, dentists are able to provide you with a strong, high-quality dental crown that is built to last up to 15 years with the proper care. When you are dealing with a damaged tooth it’s comforting to know that you can fix this dental problem in just one visit at our dentist’s office.
Do you have questions about getting same day crowns from our Vermillion, SD, dental team? Want to know whether CEREC crowns or restorations are right for you? If so, call Knutson Family Dentistry today at (605) 857-8008 to schedule a consultation.
We all need a general dentist. They are our primary dental care providers. At Knutson Family Dentistry, you have three general dentists to choose from Drs. Matthew Knutson, Richard Knutson, and Brandon Jensen. So, why do you need a general dentist? This dentist diagnoses, treats and manages all your needs, like gum care, root canals, fillings, crowns, veneers, and bridges. Your Vermillion, SD, can even refer you to a specialist if need be.
General Dentist Services
- Oral Cancer Screenings: Your dentist examines the inside of your mouth for red or white patches and/or mouth sores. The dentist uses gloved hands to feel the tissue in your mouth to check for abnormalities.
- Orthodontic treatment (Invisalign): Many adults need braces but would like to straighten their teeth discreetly. Invisalign realigns crooked teeth to improve your smile and prevent food from getting stuck in hard-to-clean areas.
- Restoration of Dental Implants: A dental implant replaces missing tooth roots and reinforces the jawbone. Sometimes, like any natural tooth or oral appliance, the crown of the dental implant may be damaged. At Vermillion, your general dentist can fix this issue.
- Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride helps protect teeth against cavities getting bigger or manifesting at all. Fluoride, a naturally occurring mineral, can be applied as a gel, foam, or varnish on teeth. People can also take fluoride supplements if that works better for them.
- Sealants: This is a great preventative measure for children. Your general dentist applies a layer of sealant on your child's teeth to create a barrier between your teeth and food to protect teeth from cavities.
Need a consultation?
If you'd like to learn more about what your general dentist can do for you, don't hesitate to call Knutson Family Dentistry at (605) 857-8008. Drs. Matthew Knutson, Richard Knutson, and Brandon Jensen of Vermillion, SD, will be happy to help.
When it comes to teeth whitening, there’s no single shade that would be applicable for all. Why? Put simply, the natural whiteness of our teeth differs even in the slightest light. This is why it is always good to make sure that teeth whitening is done by a professional to ensure everything blends in perfectly well.
Here at Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, one of our cosmetics dentists, Dr. Matthew Knutson, Dr. Richard Knutson, or Dr. Brandon Jensen, can assess your needs and recommend the best whitening treatment plan for you. But what should you do to maintain your white smile after you undergo treatment? Here are some no-nonsense guidelines.
Essential Oral Hygiene Habits
Professionally done teeth whitening is not an assurance that your teeth will not become discolored or stained. You still need to take care of it using sensible and effective basic oral hygiene practices, including:
- Brushing and Flossing: The foundation of every oral hygiene routine, brushing should be completed twice a day for two minutes using a soft-bristled brush, and flossing should be performed at least once a day.
- Rinsing with Mouthwash: Aside from keeping your breath smelling fresher for longer, fluoride mouthwashes help protect teeth enamel. Rinse for 30 to 60 seconds after brushing and flossing.
- Sensible Eating: If you eat too many sweetened foods and drinks, you are increasing your risk of accumulating plaque. Opt for crunchy fruits and vegetables to improve saliva flow and protect your teeth and gums. Additionally, make sure to drink water as much as possible.
Dealing With Stubborn Stains
Sometimes, we cannot help but consume foods and drinks that eventually leave stubborn stains and discolor your teeth. This is where help from the best cosmetic dentist in Vermillion, SD, will come into play. Depending on your specific requirements, your dentist may suggest the following treatments:
- Teeth Whitening: If you’ve had one before, you know it doesn’t last forever. Chemicals from medicines can stain your teeth just as bad as coffee or tea. Have your dentist do a teeth whitening for faster and longer-lasting results.
- Dental Bonding: This is another cosmetic solution that your dentist can do for you especially if you have stained, cracked, broken, or chipped teeth. This is a great way to maintain the whiteness of your teeth and also ensure that the gaps of your teeth are covered.
- Dental Veneers: This option may be recommended by your dentist if your natural teeth have become permanently stained. It could likewise correct slightly crooked and poorly-shaped teeth.
- Dental Crowns: These cover the entire tooth to give it that normal color, shape, and appearance. Aside from maintaining the whiteness of your smile, they can also help protect weak or broken teeth.
Need More Details on Teeth Whitening Treatments? Call The Best Cosmetic Dentists in Vermillion, SD
You can reach Knutson Family Dentistry by calling (605)-857-8008 to schedule an appointment with one of the best cosmetic dentists in Vermillion, SD, Dr. Matthew Knutson, Dr. Richard Knutson, or Dr. Brandon Jensen.
Your oral health is incredibly valuable. To keep your smile bright and healthy, see the friendly team at Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD. They're your best cosmetic dentists and your partners in oral health maintenance at home.
Why is oral care important?
Simply put, it decreases your risk of developing gum disease and tooth decay. Just as with exercise, maintaining your house or car and studying in school, a regular routine pays off. So, pay attention to your teeth and gums every day, and you'll keep your smile for life.
How to keep your oral health in good shape
Here's what your cosmetic dentists in Vermillion recommend for your best smile:
1. Brush your teeth every day for two minutes...once in the morning after breakfast and once at night before bed. Electric toothbrushes may remove plaque more efficiently.
2. Remove sticky plaque and avoid hard calculus, or tartar, by flossing around each tooth daily, particularly the ones at the very back of your mouth. The American Dental Association (ADA) says that anti-microbial mouth rinses decrease your chances of developing gum disease.
3. Eat well--three nutritious meals a day. Snacks are OK if they are not sugary. Concentrate your efforts on protein, fiber and calcium. Push water (fluoridated if possible) for good hydration and clean tooth surfaces.
4. Wear a protective mouthguard whenever you play sports. if you grind your teeth, insert your protective acrylic guard every night.
5. Look at your teeth, gums and other oral tissues for changes in color and texture. Call your dentist about any lump or sore which does not resolve in a week or so.
See your cosmetic dentist every six months
At Knutson Family Dentistry in Vermillion, SD, your dental team asks all patients to come in for a cleaning and check-up every six months. We'll help you refine your at-home routine and check you for decay, gum disease, oral cancer and more.
While everyone is at home during the COVID-19 crisis, we do have limited hours of operation to meet your dental emergency needs. We encourage you to stay with your good daily habits, and we'll see you soon. Phone us as needed at (605) 857-8008.